Monday, January 2, 2012

From Chaos to Calm in 2012

Winter is a time of rest. I watch the natural world around me and see the trees are restoring themselves and preparing for the spring bloom. The flowers condense their resources in their bulbs deep in the earth, resting and incubating in this darker colder season. The animals are hibernating and some venture out just long enough to take in sustenance and then go back to their warm dens and settle in. The sun’s trajectory is low in the sky. The days can be frigid. The humans cover their skin with fleece and inhibit what precious Vitamin D making sunshine to which they may have been exposed. Fresh locally grown vegetables are not available and we crave warmer denser root vegetables and soups. Our Circadian Bio-Rhythms nudge us to store our energy too, much like the rest of nature. In leaner times past, humans didn’t have access to the bounty of Whole Foods Markets all winter long. We were in tune with the Earth’s rhythms and followed her lead. We would rest more and prepare food storage for the season much like squirrels and bears. Squirrels stash away their nuts and seeds. Bears put on extra layers of brown fat which can be metabolized all winter long while they sleep. Some birds fly south to warmer climes.

I find it fascinating how humans then try to swim upstream against the flow of the seasons. We don’t slow down and rest. In fact, the Christmas season fosters behavior that is anything but restful. And then we wonder why we get sick on December 26th? It is literally an epidemic this year, more than any other in recent memory. Large numbers of people developed Influenza, colds and general malaise literally as soon as mid-Christmas day. When the push, the mad dash was over, they slowed down, their adrenal glands got a stress break and then, IT hit. This is not an accident. It is a symptom of imbalance, not actually a disease itself. The Flu and colds are literally the culmination of chaos in our bodies. This is a sign of too much “stuff” and not enough restful balance. The best way to prevent colds and Flu, is to slow down and plan rest in to your schedule. Whatever we make the priority will get the most attention. If we want to be more energetic, less fatigued, get better sleep and have greater peace of mind, we will want to consider resting more, unplugging from chaos and give ourselves permission to say “NO” to whatever drains our life force. Set boundaries and journal. Connect with our Higher Power. Allow our spirit to be nurtured. I write this as I prepare to step into my first week of 2012 with a TO DO list that is quite long. And my body says, “Oh not just yet, perhaps some hot tea and warm fuzzy slippers are required for just a bit longer”. I’m guessing you know the feeling?

I am going to honor that natural rhythm and pace myself. After all, life is a journey, not a destination. I plan to enjoy each moment of 2012, savoring it. And I will prevent any of those precious moments from slipping unconsciously into chaos. It is my desire for my year, to nurture balance while continuing to grown and learn. And now it’s time to step outside with my hot beverage to fill my lungs with the fresh air and greet the day.

Dr. Kat Halloran, ND

p.s. Humorously, I am enjoying immediate manifestation of my intention to nurture balance. I started working on my 2012 TO DO list, and my slow internet connection was hindering progress so I took this sign from God as a message to go get a
mani / pedi. It has actually been on the top of my list for way too long, and subsequently, I am actually feeling rather accomplished today! I also wanted to remind you good people that the Flu Shot doesn’t prevent the Flu, in fact it can weaken your immune system. So consider saying “no” to them this year. If you already got one, no worries, you can use Homeopathic Thuja as a post-vaccine therapy to limit Flu Shot side effects and nurture your immune system back to balance. For more Flu and Cold Season remedies or a consult for general health, thyroid, adrenal, hormones and stress reduction therapies, visit our website at www.QuantumLightHealthcare.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment